Monday 6 August 2012

THE ICE CREAM LADY IN LIPE ISLAND - THAILAND


We, travelers, love to hear about them...
We love to hear about people who decides to change their life, to abandon their cities, families and friends.
People who lives their dreams.
People who follows their hearts, stuff a backpack of few things and buys a one-way ticket.
People like Eliana and me.

But this is Eliana story…


She is one of the typical Milano Girls absorbed into trend, fashion and aperitivo every afternoon. One day she realizes that she need to get lost to find herself once again (I know you reader, I know that smile, I know that it had happened to you too).
She found an island, a beach and a land of smiles. She discovered Thailand and Koh Lipe. 
And do you know what she did? 

She opened a truly Italian business, an Ice Cream Shop, Lekka Lipe
To taste the handmade ice cream you have to be in Pattaya Beach and you have to walk into Walking Street. When you will see Lekka Lipe, you will recognize it! The colorful shop offers 75 flavors entirely manufactured without preservatives or food colorings. Leaving the island without trying it is a shame!

But lets hear her words through this short interview. 


















How did it start your adventure in Thailand and why an Ice Cream Parlour?
After travelling around Asia I finally reached Koh Lipe and I had the feeling this’s-what-I'm-looking-for at once. After establishing good relationships with locals and thanks to the new power project, under 35C° the idea of an Ice Cream Parlour came quite naturally.

Is it difficult to run an Italian business in a foreign country? 
I must say YES. It has been very difficult to put up everything from nothing, both physically and bureaucratically. I was alone, this was my dream. But after more than 2 years I don’t regret any single decision! I still have some difficulties with the supplies since Koh Lipe is 6 hours of speedboat from Phuket and 3 hours form HatYai. Lets say that every child’s smile brought by my ice cream repay all efforts.















How did the local react?
The local, Chaolee, are called “Andaman’s Gipsy” that is nomads to whom the king granted lands 50 years ago. It was a strategic policy: if they don’t roam around the government has better control on them. Their way of life is very simple, until lately they were living as most of all tribes in the world, by means of barter. From this point of view I had to understand their background and learn their culture in order to deal with them. Overtaken the first complications I got to know that their taste goes very well with my product and I found myself to babysit most of the local children. 

3 adjectives to describe your ice cream
Creamy, since its consistency is always soft, without air bubbles or ice which can alter the flavor.
Healthy, because it is made only with high quality ingredients.
Happy, is the people’s face that eats my ice cream.

If you were an ice cream, which flavor would you be? 
100% fondant chocolate, wrapping, sensual, rich, delicate, manufactured with the best cacao on the market and my best-seller ever.

 Images: Lekka Lipe
the rest belongs to ©inindiaperamore

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...