Thursday 18 October 2012

DIY-LET'S SPROUT


After my "starvation week"at Devaaya Ayurvedic Retreat in Goa, I started to appreciate sprouts. It happened the very day they decided to make a little variation on my diet: no more clear vegetable soup for breakfast but a big bowl of warm, unseasoned and crunchy sprouts.
Let me tell you that I was very happy and the first two days of sprouts my jaw was in pain. It seems that swallowing only liquids for a certain period of time, makes your jaw "unfit". Finally, I put it back to work with some biting exercise. Eating something with a crunchy texture, at that point of time, was paradise...
So, this is why, I decided to include sprouts into my diet and I mostly eat them in big, tasty and colorful salads.
If I didn't persuade you yet, here are 5 health benefit of sprouts:
  1. Rich in essential nutrients, which means a loads of vitamins (A, B1, B6, C, K) and minerals (phosphorus, Magnesium, Potassium and Calcium). Not enough? Let's add some Omega-3 fatty acid, some dietary fiber and Folate (vitamin B9) too.
  2. High in protein, but vegans and vegetarians already know that. In fact, they can contain up to 35% of vitamins.
  3. Excellent source of enzymes, which can keep our body healthy and fit. If cooking food results in the loss of some enzyme, eating fresh sprouts is a good way to acces to all those enzyme.
  4. Easy to digest, because of this "enzyme party". Good for young and elderly people.
  5. Good for weight loss, reach in proteins and fibers and low in calories.
That was convincing, wasn't it?

The Basic of Sprouting
Dry seeds are dormant. Soaking them ends theirs dormancy and begins a new life. By “awakening” the seed, we are actually eating all of the live potential energy of the sprout.

  • Soak the seeds overnight in a bowl with water.
  • The next morning, drain water and rinse with fresh water once or twice.
  • Place them in a cheesecloth, sprouting bag or sprouting jar without any water.
  • Every morning and night rinse with fresh water.
  • Ensure the sprouts never dry up, and repeat process until your desired length or age of sprout.
  • Rinse out with fresh water before using them.

Now, you can eat them raw, stir-fried or boiled. If you decide to eat them raw, you will be gifted with all benefits I mentioned before. If you are going to cook them, forget about nice friendly enzyme and couple of things more. 

Why, anyway, would you cook sprouts? I came across articles about sprouts (especially mung beans) carrying Salmonella, Listeria and E.Coli. Probably, that pinch of hypochondria is too enlighted in my personality, therefore I don't really feel confortable with the thought of eating raw sprouts. And honestly, I like them cooked. 

Here, my lovely Sprouts Salad Recipe.




all the rest belongs to ©inindiaperamore.blogspot.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...